It is no secret that Vienna is a breathtaking city. Its stunning architecture, rich culture, and delicious food make it a hot-spot for tourists, but amidst the tour guides and selfie sticks it can sometimes feel difficult to get an authentic Viennese experience. That is why Altovita has picked out some of our favorite ‘off-the-beaten-track’ spots, that will allow you to experience the true essence of Vienna like a local.
Sample traditional Viennese delights
- Mueller’s Heuriger – a heuriger is a traditional Austrian tavern serving homemade food and wine. At Mueller’s you can sample smooth home-brewed wine alongside traditional Viennese sweet treats to really tantalize your taste-buds!
- Naschmarkt – saunter through this trendy and stylish market sampling local vinegar, cheese, meats, desserts, and wine
- Karmelitermarkt – the unassuming brother of the Naschmarkt. Come here for a more chilled market experience surrounded only by locals
Experience coffee shop culture
- Kleines Café – popular for its understated charm, you will be sharing this cafe with locals perusing their newspapers. The cafe is situated in a small, beautiful square in the heart of Vienna, yet away from the selfie-sticks!
- Phil – this bookstore/café is a favorite among locals. Sip on freshly brewed coffee or homemade lemonade whilst flicking through one of their books – English reads are available! You can also catch music and poetry performances here.